Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day Two

My second day in Maine was good- more painful than yesterday. I almost couldn't get out of bed this morning. Every muscle in my body is horrendously sore!! I spoke to a few of my classmates and each of them has only had a few days off. I felt like a slacker. Oh well, I have to remind myself that I'll be here for six weeks and most of them only plan on one or two.
My day began with a ballet class with Mr. Bossov. The class was two hours long, but we used every minute of it. Mr. Bossov, unlike most teachers that I've had, will stop us during a routine to make a correction. The class probably spent fifteen minutes on one routine because he paused every thirty seconds. I don't mind this because it works to get us to really master a technique and to think.
My next class was pointe with Ms. Getman. I was privileged to have spent about two minutes with her on a correction. She told me that my roommate would help me, and that if I didn't improve she would be punished. YIKES!! I told Abby that I would most certainly improve. I like Ms. Getman because, of the teachers I've had so far, she seems to best remember personal corrections and is most eager to get to know each of us.
After lunch I had a character class with Mr. Bossov, who is exceptional at this art. I noticed that as he demonstrated a correction for us he seemed to get carried away and perform the entire routine at full speed and with lots of energy, as if he was performing. Somehow I didn't think that he wanted to show off his skill with an "easy" character dance, he only wanted to dance it.
Next we had another rehearsal for the showcase, which went fairly well by my standard. Then, of course, we showered and went to dinner. To have some fun, Abby and I walked down town to find a little shopping center. We saw a one-dollar theatre, an ice cream parlor, a barber shop, and a library. We got a little lost trying to find the grocery store, but one can only be so lost in a virtually infinitesimal town.
Tomorrow a "performance makeup" class is scheduled. FUN!! I know that I'll have that down. My status: I hurt (including my desperate toes, which are in the process of bruising to no end), and I hope tomorrow will be good. I know, my thoughts seem to contradict reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment